Monday, December 5, 2011

A closure

The local cable company offered a great 3-in-1 (Internet, TV and phone) promotional package that I cannot refuse. So I called in to cancel my italkbb service after over 4 years.

When I signed up italkbb's service in 2007, italkbb offered a reasonable value proposition: it was priced at $25, a price comparable to vonage, but it offered free long distance to a few countries/regions, which is a big plus for me. More over, it provided a local access number so that overseas friends and families members can call US.

Fast forward 4 years, the italkbb's price is not competitive any more: first, it tacked another ~$2.50 fee to customers; second, the cable's promotional package includes the internaltional call. So italkbb has lost its appeal.

My billing cycle runs from 20th to 21st. I called in to cancel the service on 12/3, a CSR told me that I will not get refunded for 12/4 to 12/21. She cited that the service agreement includes a clause that italkbb charges on a monthly basis and there is no way for her to refund the unused service. Many consumers have fallen into this trap, and I am surprised no class action lawyer picked up the case yet: how can they have guts to collect money for unneeded and un-delivered services?

I will be filing complaints throuh bbb, fcc and file a charge back through my credit card company. Wish me good luck.

1 comment:

tomo said...

I just came across your blog and I'm currently testing out italkbb. I'm not too fond of the extra $2.88 charge they never disclosed. As well they never disclosed the 1st month trial is chargeable. So they charged me for the 1st month (even though it's 1st month free trial) and they said they will refund the charges if I cancel.

Can I ask which local company did you choose after you left italkbb? I am also investigating alternatives.